Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Selfishness

"Well, thanks for taking care and feeding me this weekend. Come to London, and I will take care of you there, mate," Cousin M said.

"No problem. Y'know, I extend my friendship to you, much as I extend it to everyone else. And some abuse it. Sometimes, it does not pay to be nice. And some even miscontrue my friendliness as romantic interest," I reflected bitterly.

"You're like me then, being friendly to everyone, and accomodating everyone. You know what, you gotta be selfish sometimes. After you please everyone else,from friends, to your family, you will feel unhappy. Because you don't do things for yourself," he replied, before continuing "And that is why I am on this trip. This 3 year holiday trip."

And it suddenly hit me why I have been feeling so restless lately;

That in accomodating others, I have shortchanged myself.
That in fulfilling society's expectations, I have shortchanged myself.
That in fulfilling my promise on his deathbed, I have shortchanged myself; I suppressed my wanderlust.
That in fulfilling my family responsibilities, I have shortchanged myself; I gaveher up.

But now, the responsibilities and promise has been fulfilled. Now, it's time to think of what I really wanna do, which is the hardest part, and making that decision to change.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop whining and do something about your life. Its easy to feel that the whole world has shortchanged you.

Sometimes the reason why we do something that appears self-sacrificing is that we hope to be ultimately rewarded for it. This is not self-sacrifice but just another form of personal justification. When we don't get the rewards for our sacrifice, we feel short-changed.

Part of living, growing, and being happy is to be able to contribute unconditionally such that it is the end by itself.


Another fucked-up person trying to be a better person

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah kaoz... wanna comment, but don't have the balls to leave your name...

urbanmalebitch has done something with his life... he's super successful and duper popular... and he's decided to be selfish for a change... nothing wrong with it... sometimes one has to be mean to be appreciated... sad but its the bitter truth... 老虎不发威,当他是病猫 ah?!

ps urbanmalebitch: i never copy you...

11:15 PM  
Blogger The Screwy Skeptic said...

Your cousin's right - sometimes you just have to think about yourself for a change. It's just too bad that humanity as a whole tends to abuse that paradigm to the point of exploiting one another.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you done all you had promised.

Then move on.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh yes, so how's looking out for yourself turning out so far?

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Chip tramadol Cisco campus visio stencil 1 fioricet order buy tramadol zoey model webcam depakote+drug+interactions Jeep cherokee charging problem europro vacuum cleaner Suck guy penis D-link call centers germany http://www.tridentvideocard.info/pillvalue_fioricet.html Designer eyeglasses store fremont http://www.businesscard7.info/search-caspari-stationery.html new york city plastic surgeon buy buy fioricet fioricet online free online free 55 company director email address in european marketing Little tikes doll house furniture Colleen ass

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home