Thursday, August 04, 2005

LASIK Operation


Entrance
Originally uploaded by urbanmalebitch.




After much research on the LASIK centers available in Singapore and Malaysia, I have decided to stick to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, for two reasons:

1)They have the latest LASIK equipment available, the other being Vista
2)The eye surgeon, Dr. Lee Hong Ming, was highly recommended by an ex colleague.

And so on Thursday, I sat outside TTSH, waiting for my turn to be operated on. You can tell that the center is doing well, from the furnishings. Got even free internet access. Complete with iMacs.


iMac
Originally uploaded by urbanmalebitch.



First stop, to the refraction test room. To test if my eyesight has deteriorated. A sweet and pretty optician tested my eyesight. Which of course, made it harder for me to concentrate on the refractive test. With such pretty optician, how to concentrate? Anyone guy with perfect eyesight also have problem, see letters wait all become figures. Liddat how?

Waited for about half an hour, before I was called in to the operating theatre.

Nurses put a series of anaesthetic eyedrops . The eye doc was brimming with confidence and was all smiles. Too confident in fact, that I felt uneasy. But then again, he has a huge reputation. Waiting queue for other doctors, 2 weeks. For him, it’s at least 1 month.

From the holding area, I saw the sight saviour machines. A million dollar Intralase machine and Bausch & Lomb’s Zyoptix 100.


Operating theatre
Originally uploaded by urbanmalebitch.



A closer shot of the intralase machine.


intralase machine
Originally uploaded by urbanmalebitch.



First my eyelids were plastered wide open. A spring like device was used hold the eyelids apart. A suction device was attached to the eyeball. It created a pressure on the eyeball, somewhat like a mini vacuum cleaner sucking onto a pingpong ball. All while I’m still conscious, seeing it right in from of my eye.

The Intralase machine’s laser was then extended down to the eye. With me fully conscious.

“I am going to create a flap in your cornea now”

“Pressure On”

And I saw a host of octagonal yellow lights lighting up

“Counting down , 50 seconds”

And I still saw the same host of octagonal yellow lights.

“5 more seconds”

And the pressure was still on. I felt nothing at all.

“Pressure Off”

And thus, the cornea was cut to create a flap. Painless.

“There are no bubbles formed during the flap creation. We will now proceed with the LASIK”

The bed shifted, and I am now in full view of the Zyoptix 100 machine. I saw a series of green lights and red lights emitting from the machine.

The doctor then used a device to flip up the flap, and all of a sudden, my vision was blurred.

“Concentrate on the red blinking lights, not the red one. Remember, stay still, and do not talk”

He held my forehead down tightly against the headrest, whilst I gazed intently at the series of red blinking lights.

“The laser is in position now. Phase 1 of operation now begins”

Keeping still, I continued staring at the blinking red lights, as instructed.

“5 more seconds remaining, begin of Phase 2”

The operation was done in 5 phases, and it took only about 40 seconds.

“Congratulations, the operation is successful.”

He flipped back the cut flap. And my vision cleared up instantly. I could see the world around me.

A tiny brush was then used to wipe and seal the flap back in. He then applied some sort of a lotion on the cornea. It was a pretty strange sensation, as you could see him wiping away at your cornea, very much like the petrol station guy wiping the windscreen whilst you are in the driver’s seat.

I had a photo taken during the post check up 20 mins after the operation.


Dr Lee Hong Ming
Originally uploaded by urbanmalebitch.




Vision? I felt like I was in dreamland, with halos surrounding objects. Two days later, after much rest, it improved tremendously. The last time I tested, it was 6/6.

18 Comments:

Blogger sassyjan said...

how isit so far... isit good? isit good?

i wan to do it. but my parents are worried sick.

3:11 PM  
Blogger urbanmalebitch said...

It's really good ... best investment so far. It is not without risks, but it's very very little. Plus, with an experienced doctor, it is really minimal.

3:46 PM  
Blogger ai said...

Gosh. Was just talking to a friend whom I've just made last week while doing the LASIK consultation, at TTSH too!. He did his just today (Friday). I'm going to do my next week. Getting a bit nervous. Your account of it did help me calm my nerves though! Thanks. Wish me luck. :)

12:57 AM  
Blogger Vera said...

I love Doc Lee!
He was my doctor too!!
I still have 6/6 vision~~~

la-la-la

9:29 AM  
Blogger kennysia said...

I hope they don't run Windows on their LASIK machines.

Worst case scenario is if it gets the blue-screen-of-death then you'll go home with barbequed eyes liaw.

How much did it cost you?

11:15 AM  
Blogger nerdblogger said...

how much was it?

How long it takes to recover??

12:07 PM  
Blogger CoW g0eS Mo0 m0o~! said...

waoh cool... I wanna get it done too~!!!
But how much would it cost...???

1:44 PM  
Blogger Lil Miss Freckles said...

i got mine done recently at singapore eye centre, dr wee.. he's not too bad too, my procedure din seem that lecheh.. but who cares when we can see perfectly well now rite? lasik is indeed a god-send.. no more groping for glasses when u wakeup, no mroe wiping your glasses during rainy days, no more wiping your glasses when u come out of an airconed place.. woohoo!

3:11 PM  
Blogger zhi yang said...

this is very helpful. i heard pp also recommended tan tock seng.

but my whole family are pretty much against it. blah

3:24 PM  
Blogger lip said...

got it done recently too! by same doctor lol. high astig so a bit harder to clear to 6/6. see how in a few months la;)

nice post!

10:54 AM  
Blogger urbanmalebitch said...

ai: good luck. It's painless, really.

fat fingers: me too.

kenny sia: I think read somewhere that some of the earlier machines were running on Windows NT 4.0. I can't remember which ones. But it's definitely not the ones in Tan Tock Seng Hostpial. Part of the reason why I delayed my LASIK.

nerdblogger: your vision improves immediately. I even went inline skating on the day itself after i finished my operation on the last eye.

c: =)

'lil miss freckles: I can understand perfectly how u feel. No more bothering about contact lenses after a hard day's clubbing.

zhi yang: fret not, there are other altenartives.

lip: thanks.

To those who asked about the costs, i will be posting up the exact costs of the LASIK, plus pre and post

2:30 PM  
Blogger Threez said...

hey I'm seriously considering after your blow by blow account. How much did you pay all in?

10:29 AM  
Blogger corrine said...

what was your degree before you went for the surgery? i am also thinking of going for lasik, i heard the price depends on the degree of astigmatism.

11:45 AM  
Blogger urbanmalebitch said...

threez: Once I get all my invoices together, will give a breakdown later in my next post.

Corrine: 1,100 for both eyes. With slight astigmatism.

3:17 PM  
Blogger BBBBBBB said...

My friend just did his at TTSH also. So poweeerrrr. I likeeee. But no marnee. Yay! No more irritating glasses and contact lenses!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ai appr�ci� votre emplacement et regard en avant � plus.Best Wishes, Amos laser eye surgery the woodlands

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog urbanmalebitch. I was searching for information on lasik surgery astigmatism and came across your post LASIK Operation - not quite what I was looking for related to lasik surgery astigmatism but very interesting all the same!

Well it's a new year and this is the year when I hope to be completing my studies in opthalmology, which includes a thesis on upcoming laser eye surgery technology and improved eye health. I'm also planning to take a course on the excima laser, which should be fun.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: LASIK eye surgery . It explains how I got my own vision back after Lasik surgery.

A very happy and prosperous new year to you and yours! Philip

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP side effects of gabapentin neurontin National association of black lawyers Driving drunk lawyer pa Salicylamide lawsuits heart Exe outlook stationery asain girls naked hardcore Order didrex information answering machine that blocks calls Celebrex francais

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home