Sunday, October 01, 2006

Even IT techies makes such mistakes too.

In the middle of a concert on a Saturday night, I received an urgent message from my engineer.

"After the office power shutdown and start up, one server crashed", he SMSed.

"Which server?"

"The database server"

"Which component failed?"

"I am not too sure. The server could not boot up, but if I switched the hard disks to another server, it works. The monitor screen is blank"

"At least the data is still intact. It should be a hardware controller failure. Call DELL and get the hardware replaced. I will be in office at 9am to sort this out".

And so here I was in office, on a Sunday morning at 9am, troubleshooting the server with the DELL engineer. And we discovered that the reason why the monitor screen was blank, was because the cable attached to the monitor was disconnected. All those worrying and the sleepless night, because of a disconnected cable.

I need a beer

2 Comments:

Blogger aberwyn said...

omg. the engineer deserve to be sacked.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was working on something the other day and my mouse just 'died' on me. I unplugged it from the keyboard and connected it direct to my CPU and it was working fine.

Then nothing I typed came out. So I thought my keyboard 'died' on me. Was about to call my friend for help when I realised it was a loose USB connection..

Phew! LOL

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home