Sunday, February 12, 2006

Farewell, Mrs Dilnot.

Since young, I had a love for music, and the piano.

Despite my love for the piano, I hated practicing; and dreaded the daily piano practices.

My progress , though on paper looked good, but in reality, it sucked. All I could remember through my piano sessions was just reading up music notes, playing the correct keys, and memorising scales.

When I was 13, I migrated to Australia, and met Mrs. Dilnot. Before she taught me, she appraised my standard, and I had to play a few piano pieces for her to hear. After a few phrases, she stopped me, and corrected me on the spot.

" Your technique and understanding of the music is all wrong," she said, before demonstration how to play the pieces correctly. "And, for you to progress, you will have to start from scratch".

And so, from a Grade 5 pianist; I had to start from Grade 1. Re-learning my technique, and all the basic skills. But yet, I enjoyed her lessons. Her explanation of how to read music, instead of just reading notes. How to intrepret musical scores, and why music for each particular era is written the way it was.

Here was a teacher, who taught me how to play music, and not notes.

Here was a teacher, who took down notes of my mistakes on a notebook for you to bring home to correct.

Here was a teacher, who inspired me to practice the piano daily for an hour and a half.

Here was a teacher, who insisted that my mum sit in with me for the lessons, so that at home, she could ensure that I practiced correctly.

Here was a teacher, who taught me valuable piano techniques, and explained to me why you had to play it that way.

Here was a teacher, who made the scales interesting.

Here was teacher, with 1 year's tutelage, made such an improvement to my skills, that when I came back from Australia, I was more than qualified to take the Grade 8 exams.

Here was teacher, who inspired me.

And more importantly, here was a teacher, who taught me how to love the piano.

But today, I learnt from my cousins from Australia, that she had passed away several years ago, losing the fight to cancer.

And I felt a pang of guilt, sadness and regret.

For, I was her favourite student, her star student.

For, I had meant to visit her, and tell her, how much her tutelage had shaped my life.

And now, that will not happen.

Farewell, Mrs Dilnot.

May you rest in peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger LionHeart said...

Salute to Mrs Dilnot for her dedication and her love for teaching.

It is a great loss, for such a wonderful teacher who had created memories and a love for music.

A silent prayer for her.
May her rest in peace.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no... and you were still talking about her and how she taught you when we were on our rollerblading sessions... :(

sometimes life just sucks doesn't it... so many things we meant to do... yet we push them aside... only to regret not doing them... ok maybe life doesn't suck... those "wat ifs" and "meant to" do...

ps: I STILL OWE YOU $$...

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about the loss. btw, i didn't know you played the piano.. =P

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
Anal shitting teen Free hot sexy teens pics http://www.teens-do-it-for-cash-xxx.info/Teen-sex-addicts.html

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home